Wednesday, September 30, 2009







While I was doing research for our trip I decided to check out Art Wolfe's website, because he had done three episodes for "Travel's to the Edge" in the South American Region that we are planning for. I also read his Wikipedia page and learned about his major influences one of which was Ernst Haas. So, basically I got sidetracked while doing research. Anyway, Haas was a Photographer from Austria who moved to New York in 1953. I liked his photography because it's from a different era or vintage if you want to call it that. I'm not usually a fan of abstract stuff, but he had an ability to capture simple everyday things and turn them into art. Such as peeling paint, scratches on a car and junkyards. I posted some of the abstract photos that I liked above. I guess I have overcome my bias for blurry images thanks to Ernst Haas because I really liked this image of a flying bird. It's deep blue color is great combined with the ghostly image of the flying bird. The next photo I posted shows his belief in finding beauty in everyday things. I almost don't want to say what it is because it makes the photo seem less amazing, but it is just soap in swirls on a window. I just found it to be an amazing and captivating shot even if it is just soap. He was also famous for shooting movie stars and other famous people. He captured the time period well with photos of Einstein, Marilyn Monroe, Martin Luther King, Jr, and many other famous people. All I can say is that I was glad to get sidetracked and find Haas's images not just for their beauty but also for their history.

No comments:

Post a Comment